Places in Hampi - Stage 4 (3-4 hours)


Hampi Bazaar

Hampi Bazaar

       Hampi Bazaar is located in front of the Virupaksha temple. It is also known as Virupaksha Bazaar and is about a kilometre long. Both sides of the street are lined with a series of old pavilions. These structures were once part of a thriving market and residence of the nobles. Towards the west end (towards Virupaksha temple). The east end of the bazar ends at the foothill of the Matanga Hill and a huge Nandi (bull statue) is located at end of the street. A next to it is a two storeyed pavilion with twelve well-carved and polished black stone pillars of the Later Chalukyan lathe-turned type. An open platform nearby is the main stage of the annual Hampi festival.

Monolithic Bull

Monolithic Bull

      Yeduru Basavanna is the monolithic statue of Nandi, the ride of Lord Shiva, located at the east end of the Hampi Bazaar. It is a popular tourist attraction that draws innumerable visitors because of its huge proportions. Though it is mutilated and has not been carved as intricately as other structures located here, Nandi is placed on a two-storied pavilion that was constructed on a raised platform. The mammoth boulders behind it add to the beauty of this monolithic idol. This sculpture of Nandi is facing the Virupaksha Temple that is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Tourists can see a stone lamp station with metal spikes that is located near this monolith.

Achutharaya temple (Tiruvengalanatha temple )

Achutharaya temple (Tiruvengalanatha temple )

      The temple dedicated to Lord Tiruvengalanatha, a form of Vishnu, was constructed by Achyuta Deva Raya (1529–1542 CE). The temple complex and the market street in front of it sit in a valley created by two hills – the Gandhamadana & Matanga hills.

The complex of this temple has two enclosures, each marked by an entrance Gopura. The main temple is situated within the second enclosure. Opposite to the temple is the shrine for Garuda, the celestial bird and the vehicle of Vishnu. To the south west of the temple is a shrine for Devi. The Kalyana Mantapa is located in the north-western corner of the outer enclosure where the annual marriage ceremony of the deity is conducted. The basement of the Kalyana Mantapa is richly decorated with the relief of elephants

Achutharaya bazar & pushkarani

Achutaraya Bazaar

In front of the Achyuta Raya temple the ruins of a long street once famous as Achyutapete but now known as the Soolai bazaar. The Pushkarini tank was prepared for the purposes of the temple only. Pushkarini Tank in Hampi has its holy bath of God. However, the chief quality of the tank is to take a dip in the tank and other uses like bathing and washing for the visitors who come to see the pilgrims. Above all, there are special temple occasions in which the temple boats have the divine images. The water is harmless as it is recycled every time. People believe that the Pushkarini Tank in Hampi has the pleasure of Lord Maha Vishnu.




Stage 4-Continued
Stage 3-Continued